Tuesday, February 14, 2006

To My Sister

You are to me so many things I cannot express. Have you noticed I try to tell you how wonderful you are every time we are in the company of one another? Perhaps you think it is the mood of the moment, or the perhaps my state of inebriation. I worry you might think I am simply trying to make you feel good about yourself. That perhaps you’ve considered the possibility that I might construct the praises I give you because I want to believe some falsehood about your personality that doesn’t exist.
The truth is, Kimberly, that I have worshipped you since I was a child. I can remember you too young to interact with me, strawberry blonde hair and pudgy cheeks, all smiles and dimples. No angel I ever studied was prettier. Later when you were older I loved all the things you were that I was not. Organized, popular, good at school, beautiful. I didn’t know you back then. Not really. I wish I had.
But perhaps we’ve come into this season of our friendship at the best time. Two people grown, fairly certain of who we are, but willing to reach out, needing a friend, love, a sister. For all that I complain about whatever fault may be bothering me at the moment, the truth behind the grievance is a fear that I will lose you. To ill health, to some mishap, or because we have some ridiculous argument that doesn't belong in our lives in this here and now. My adoration of you has only changed in that I am coming to know the person I love so dearly. More than a sister, you are the friend I can trust my heart to. I believe in God because of gifts like you. You give me smiles and hope when all else is dark and gloom.
I love you. And I always will.

1 Comments:

Blogger MariesImages said...

This is so sweet. Even though this is addressed to your sister, I think it's wonderful that you are sharing your feelings on here. Not all sisters are so lucky.
You both are have a special gift. I wish I had that with my sisters.
Marie

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home