Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Curve

I stood there, stupidly I am sure, while the car barreled around the corner.

I knew it was heading for me, but I could not seem to move. My feet were icy, and perhaps that is part of my excuse. My cold butt could not seem to send a message to my equally frozen brain to move out of the way.

Everything about me was wet, I’d been in the snow for days, with no real place to sleep, and every part of me from one end to the other was a bedraggled mess. I hadn’t been warm for far too long, and so, I just stood there.

No, you idiot. I wasn’t trying to commit suicide.

I don’t particularly like being homeless, but neither have I ever relished being plowed under by an ugly puke green Buick during the coldest time of the year. Besides, even if I had been so inclined, with my luck, a suicide attempt would have meant I’d have ended up crippled and homeless. No thanks.

It was quick, one second it was all headlights in my eyes and screeching tires, the next minute I felt the bumper just brush against me hard enough to throw me into the embankment behind me.

Running feet assured me that whoever had been in the car was rushing over to check on me.

“Awww… dad! A dog! We hit a dog… he’s hurt!”

I breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn’t some teenager bent on torturing me… there were plenty of them.

“Step back Dani, lemme see….”

The voice was kind… I managed a crooked grin and didn’t make much of an effort to stand up.

“He looks okay Dani, just bruised, but we better take him home.”

Wow… I didn’t expect that. Going home with someone? Maybe some real food and a bed?

“Can we keep him dad?”

I am sure my expression much have said as much, because the man laughed as he scooped me up and headed for the car.

“Why not? What better winter holiday gift than a wet mutt?”

Well… what a turn of events.

Suddenly that old nasty wet snow looked a great deal prettier. For that matter, everything did. From homeless mutt to family pet.

You won’t hear me complaining.


~December 27, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home