Sunday, January 23, 2005

Culpable

* I wrote this story was for the BarnesandNoble.com presents ... Write & Win Contests on the AOL message boards. I enjoyed these contests because they made stretch my mind. The topic was "Mirrors" and the rules, in short, were that the story had to mention the topic, and be 250 words or less. The challenge being not only to create a good story about the topic, but to make it still readable after chopping out all but 250 words. This story took first place. I have to say I was pleased. :)

This was way more work than it looks like. I was shattered when the new administration took over.

I shouldn't have been surprised, no one's ever truly appreciated anything I do. I didn't like my old boss, I knew the witch was about to get canned. Some people get power and go crazy. It amazes me that with her looks and talents that she could entertain so much hate and jealousy. If she hadn't tried so hard to destroy everyone around her, she'd have stayed on top.

I tried to warn her, but it only pissed her off. She wasn't one to look into a mirror and accept the truth. I was just a tool to her, the means to an end. When it was over I was held responsible for her mistakes. I didn't want to hang around and take the blame, but I had little choice. If you knew me, you'd know I am not capable of running from a problem.

So, the new boss finally came around to see me, I knew she would. I'd kept an eye on her for years, and noticed right away the change in her confidence. She stood in front of me without expression,

"Any last words?"

"It was a compliment you know, you always have been the best looking girl around here." I said, hopefully.

She shrugged, "That was important to her, not me."

Then she grabbed me and threw me to the ground, and I shattered.

What can I say? Snow White might be fair, but fate certainly isn't.

~January 23, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home