Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Thief


* Written for the write and win contests, The theme, I think, was steal. This took second place.

I’d spent a full summer this year watching lovers walk hand in hand though the flower strewn park while my children cavorted with the other neighborhood kiddos on the playground.

Autumn brought school for my little ones, and hours on the internet seeking solace amongst faceless others who would engage in conversation.

It was better than nothing, but when I went to bed alone, it still felt like nothing.

Now, with the winter holidays all but past, the last degradation was this New Years Eve party my neighbors had begged me to go to. I’d gone as requested, but felt out of place. I didn’t want to go in and stopped just short of the doorway.

I was just about to turn tail and run, when I heard the tinkling of bells above me. Looking up I saw mistletoe wrapped in red ribbon and bells an instant before I was spun and around and kissed.

I should say that I pushed him off me - and that I didn’t close my eyes and sink into the kiss with a sigh born of need. I should say I didn’t love the smell of him or the way the kiss made the heat rise from my toes. (Snow would have melted beneath me.) Instead I savored the beauty of it, and open my eyes with a smile.

“You’re home!”

“They gave me leave; I don’t have to go back for three weeks. Can I steal another kiss?”

“Oh… yes…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home